Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Rage Ain't Nothing But A Number

How do you get the bitter taste of frustration out of your mouth? You wash it out with the milk of human kindness. I had already vented to my heart's content. I will forget but never forgive over the non-transmission from Berlin. Never. History of monumental stature was there and a corporation with no vision wanted us to miss it. Usain Bolt was on to repeat in the 100-200 and double world record breakage too. Is wha dat? HISTORY! You understand?

But, good friends come to the aid of each other. "D? M says we go to Bubba's for 2pm. Dem have de coverage." I thought it was a poor attempt at humour. But, no. "Me reddy. I have a few errands first, but my work's done," I said.

I had a few ends to type up and another two bags of guavas to dispose of. I called a friend who works for LIME and asked her if she wanted. "Yes!!! Pleeese." I bagged and whizzed along River Road. I made a quick stop at Starcom on the way back to get a CD recording of last Sunday's 'Brass Tacks'. A little confusion first, as the producer had sent me a message from home saying "Not ready yet" and I was just getting an envelope with a CD from the receptionist. Then on.

I had not been in Bubba's since I came back to Barbados--over 2 1/2 years ago. The last time was during a Wanderers Masters Tournament in 2003, and I had had a good night of fun with the team. I was so excited as I walked in and saw about 7 huge TV screens, two already fixed on thing in Berlin. I grabbed a booth midway between the screens. Within minutes, the posse arrived. M and friend; P and colleague. Hugs, kisses. Eyes on the soon-to-be-had prize.

First, they showed the semis for men's 110 hurdles: Barbados' Ryan Brathwaite won in 13.18 seconds, a new national record. I'd heard it on the radio some minutes before but he looked good. Then we had women's 400 metres hurdles. No details. Jamaica wins as Melaine Walker rode the barriers, helped by a too-tight piece of elastic snapping in the American girl's shorts at the last hurdle. Yes!!!!!! 52.42 seconds.

Then Melaine got a piggy back from the mascot bear. But the bear could not see and the two of them careened into a piece of apparatus. The mascot was nearly decapitated and Melaine nearly won the shot put as the ball. Sorry, that was better than the race.



Then THE race. Lighting was striking up chat with his good friend, Wallace Spearman; they seemed like brothers. Bolt then put on poses for the camera ahead of the start. Wipe the eye brows. Kiss the fingers. We muttered "Don' lose!". Go. Two strides and the race was done. Turn the curve and Usain was alone. Breast teh tape and the rest of the field was out of camera shot. NEW WORLD RECORD...19.19 seconds. Rahtid! De yute ahd alrady taken o.11 off his 100 metres world record, with 9.58, now he did the same from 19.30 seconds. A sign dat.





It seemed like a whole day before the crowd would calm down and UB would stop moving and sweating. He had run hard. What a win. Rumour is that Bolt's DNA will be checked to confirm that he is not a horse.

Of course the bar was nearly full--lots of late lunches today. Next up, Ryan B again. He looked nervous but also ready. From the start the race was a lock between 3 men and at the tape it was still locked. It was minutes of looking and hoping before the result was known. WINNER...Brathwaite...13.14 seconds...new national record. The bar erupted and high fives were flying "Home Drums"..."Something's Happening" I yelled at M's Bajan colleague. What a day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel your excitement in your prose. These athletes have made us all proud Caribbean people.They should be duly rewarded for they have brought us of the region great honour...