Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Grant Me This, Please.

Grant's in Brittons Hill has become one of my haunts. In recent weeks, I've had the pleasure and privilege to celebrate with Mama Grant and her family a few major events. Her grand daughter got a sports scholarship and was headed off to the USA--time for a fete. Then Mama herself had her birthday in mid August--time for a fete. Then one of her daughters had a birthday the following week--another time for a fete. So, liming on the block corner has been good fun. Brittons Hill is not where people usually think foreigners will be found, but I guess I will continue to surprise.

I loved the little plug her restaurant and bar got on the radio earlier this week and I have been a bit slow to pay my own tribute. I was ready for more banana cou-cou and fried snapper this past week, but was caught up with some family/work business and the torrential rains did not help.

One of my Bajan buddies went and represented me, as I had asked him to do, and out of respect for the old lady, who is so sweet and kind. My bud met an old school friend from decades gone by so was full of fun well past lunchtime and told me that he did not leave Grant's till around 4pm. Another not-so-close English buddy was due to be initiated into things culinary and Bajan and we somehow messed up. So, will do it again later, I hope.

So, as a kind of hug, I include a video from the past week's liming.


I am finding out more about the spot each week as Bajan friends tell me of their associations and my jaw drops just as I dropped in. I'm starting to think that it's an institution and I have just come to it by good happen chance.

That's life and love it for that.

No comments: