Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Friday, August 14, 2009

Novel Teas: The South Coast Goes Herbal

I don't know how many times I will say, "You just have no idea what a day will bring. Just be ready to go with the flow." This morning, I was due to meet a young economics graduate, just arrived in Barbados, who had contacted me about a year ago about possible job opportunities. I had told him to contact the usual suspects--central bank, ministry of finance, UWI, money brokers, some of the international or regional or bilateral organizations, etc. Last Saturday, while having breakfast, a slim man came up to me and asked, "Dennis Jones? Living In Barbados?" I replied affirmatively. "I'm DF. I contacted you last week and came here based on your blog post." Well, I just rolled over under the tree and my legs kicked like a dead ant's. We got ourselves together and agreed to meet during this week. He suggested Quay Side or Novel Teas (Harts Gap); I opted for the latter, which I'd heard was newly opened and interesting.

So, I went to Novel Teas, but no DF. I wasited. But no DF. I ordered a muffin and Marsala tea. Still no DF. I called DF. No reply. I saw the plates being brought to a bajan couple next to me. What is that? Huge omelets. I grabbed the menu again, and asked for the location of that item. I found it. I ordered one (with two eggs), and sipped my tea, with honey and a little milk--having brewed it the requisite four minutes.Then heaven for the morning arrived on my plate. As Jamaicans would say, "De egg dem pretty up, yu see." Lovely cut peppers and other vegetables. I set about talking to the owner, Raj Thani--the family that sells shoes and other stuff--as we hit it off on a first meeting.

I told him that I had lived in a part of London with a lot of people from the Indian subcontinent and had smelt Indian food often all day. How I could pick up Indian snacks as I walked to an from the train station for school. I told about going through university days and eating Indian vegetarian food from the Indian YMCA in Tottenham Court Road. I told about living off bhel puri and dhosas. Why did I mention that? Raj told me that his sister was going to do dhosas this afternoon. I should try them. I should? I must. But not today, alas.

Raj told me a little about the restaurant--opened since March. I also talked a bit to his staff--four young Bajan ladies, of quite different sorts and temperament. One of his servers, has the character of the sap of a tree that has lain dormant of centuries in the sands by the Baltic Sea--and she is very cool. Another server sees herself as "a sweet girl with a great
personality that is always helpful". If pushed, she thinks that she is "like milk chocolate" (no bitterness); she does thing with a big smile.

My views on service and restaurants are well known, so I am so pleased to find one that is simple, like home, full of pleasant people who want you there now and again later. Once those dhosas are being cooked again, I will be there, and sample the curry chicken and nan and...

Oh, still my beating heart!

No comments: