Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

C'mon LIME, Gi' Jack 'e Jacket

I am not normally one to push too hard for accolades, but I wonder if I should ask to be named a 'people's champion'. I read today that LIME has introduced measures to deal with fraud and alert itself and customers to high charges, with the recent addition of 'credit limits' to mobile phone bills. I noticed the information on my last monthly bill and smiled, with an inner fist pump and "Yes!"

Now, I know that it may not be part of corporate cultures to acknowledge that it was pressure from without that led to changes within, but I wonder what would have happened had I not let them have it on my blog (see http://livinginbarbados.blogspot.com/2009/01/bredda-jackass-gon-on-holiday.html), and accompanied that with my letter to the Nation, which was published.

Now, the people at LIME know that I really like them, as I keep telling my friends and acquaintances that they should think of getting BlackBerry service from them--not least because my experiences with Digicel have been pretty abysmal. I also know that they like me. So, they will understand that I am merely nibbling a little at the hand not biting too hard.

But, I wonder why they did not indicate that this might have been prompted by customer complaints. Perhaps, concerns about fraud and high bills outweighed the kind of complaint that I had, but I know from other corporate customers that they had been groaning about the inconvenience of the credit limits for some time, and with little action.

They could have added--maybe they did but the reporter decided to leave it out--that they have a cheap plan for BlackBerry users that give unlimited data roaming for a mere B$50 a month. Trust me, those e-mail messages and checking things on Facebook while outside the Caribbean region add up quick o'clock.

Being the sort of exacting person I am--some would say "fastidious", at times--I also want to feel that they along with other companies in Barbados, can go the extra mile for customers or at the very least realise that customer satisfaction is the life blood of their existence and success. LIME should be seen as part of things NISE, not sour. I am glad that they responded as they did and I look forward to no more disconnections when I am travelling abroad.

Anyway, my little daughter knows the story, so she can set the record straight later in life, if needed.

No comments: