Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cobblers Cove: Simple Elegance

The world's best hotels offer many things that visitors like and want to experience again and again. Some offer service that is flawless. Others offer food that is divine. Some others offer selections of fixtures and fittings that show a certain refined taste. Each fine hotel tries to set itself apart visibly and intangibly from the others.

One of the ways that Cobblers Cove is trying to stand out is by its choice of furniture and decoration for its rooms. It shows a certain simple charm, often seen in older English or European homes. The room we had included china in the Delft style--in traditional blue and white.

Another feature we saw and liked was the choice of toiletries. Living in England can make you into a snob of sorts. Visiting England can make a snob even snobbier. If I see Penhaligon brands I know that I am in a good hotel. If I see Molton Brown, I also know that I am in a good hotel. If I see both, especially in public washrooms, I take notice. If my wife sees Floris, she sighs. When we see all three, we nearly die. The floral decoration around it all just begs you to be spoilt.

I have never before stayed at a hotel that had a double shower--ie two separate showers in one large space, not one shower fitting that does two things. Double sinks? Yes--and what a relief, my wife's face shows as she sees me looking at the side that has the extending shaving mirror.Bath and jacuzzi? Yes. But never double showers.

Then, it all gets to be a bit too much. Two white towelling bath robes--nice. But, look. Two blue and white striped cotton robes--a Delft touch?

Cleanliness is near to Godliness. So, take me to be cleaned.

2 comments:

Monique said...

Nice comments on Cobblers Cove. We thoroughly enjoyed catering to you both and to provide specail treats like puddiing and souse, grilled lobster for dinner, the amenities which are standard and good company. Look forward to many more visits

Dennis Jones said...

Monique,
You jumped ahead of my story telling, but you know it all so I cannot hold you back.
It was almost too much pleasure and I hope you get others to come and be treated so well.