Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Minor Attractions

This morning, I got a really nice surprise. I saw an old car that reminded me of my first days as a driver. At my regular breakfast place, I saw an old Morris Minor Traveller Wagon (Woody). Its owner is Tommy Bentley, a Barbadian businessman. He bought the car a couple of years ago; it's a 1968 model. (My Dad had a regular Morris 1000 when we lived in England and it was the first car that I had to drive in the early 1970s, and which my father let me keep when I went off to university and beyond.)

Mr. Bentley, who really ought to be driving a car of that name, seemed very attached to the car, which he has renovated and hopes to show locally, at least in February 2010.

On Mr. Bentley himself, he told me he is Bajan born, but his family came from England to the Caribbean this century. He is descended from David Williams Bentley, the Seventh Bishop of Barbados (1930-45, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David Williams Bentley).

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Dennis,

My mom was the principal of a primary school in Jamaica and one of my early recollections is being driven in a car just like this one through the streets of Grange Hill and Savanna-la Mar. That's a long time ago...I bet it is good on mileage.