Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Friday, September 04, 2009

Where I Lost My Virginity

I never thought that as I walked toward Central Park I would come face to face with one my historical landmarks: the place where I lost my virginity, in the mid-1980s. I was walking in midtown Manhattan, and the sun was hot but no humidity to deal with. Central Park was to my back and I could see the rays of sunshine streaming between the buildings.

Then I reached 301 Park Avenue. Right away I knew where I was. The Waldorf Astoria.

I had seen the back the other night and was not as excited. But the front did it. I looked intently and studied every feature from top to bottom. Impressive. Beautiful. I had been taken in and taken to bed with few questions. I had enjoyed a hot bath and then the white sheets, smooth and crisp. I had no back rub or other contact, just turned onto my stomach and closed my eyes and in no time it was over.

I remembered little and slept so deeply after the hard efforts that I had made. I had been flying it seemed for hours. I sighed as I woke and looked out of the window. I could see so many sights only seen in films and on TV. I looked back at the bed. No one was there. I was alone. I was thankful and went for a shower. I had meetings to go to with my Advisor (who was my boss) and dressed in a sharp dark suit and a tie that was fittingly powerful--with a red gingham pattern. Citibank was our target and off we went: we had big debt issues to discuss.

My life was never the same after that first night. I had come and that was all that mattered.

Now that I am back in New York City again, I am waiting for my first child--now in her early 20s--to arrive in the city. Will I tell her the full story?

That is, this is where her father spent his first ever night in the USA.

No comments: