Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

International Coastal Clean Up Day And Clean Up Barbados Day

What are you planning on doing this coming Saturday morning? I would normally be off to St. George for breakfast and liming. But, one of my environmentally conscious friends, who is a member of the Optimists Club, has told me to get my gear together and help move trash. How can I refuse? So, family in tow, I will be trying to do my part. I will head to Browne's Beach (Bay Street) at 5.30am for BEACH CLEAN-UP & BREAKFAST, in celebration of International Coastal Clean Up Day And Clean Up Barbados Day. I understand that Barbados has been doing this for the past 11 years.

Stop searching for an excuse to not go. If you do nothing else you can enjoy the stretch of beach that makes for a great sunrise walk. I had planned to go this morning with my French visitor as we could not play tennis, but the torrential rain made her sleep longer and we may have to do a walk at sundown. It will be good to check how dirty the beach is now and try to make it much cleaner in a few days time.

I plan to write a little story around the clean up activities.

No comments: