Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

What The Third Eye Sees

My meeting with Walter Edey is part of a journey. None of know the road and each of us will try to find a path. Walter observed keenly and now his third eye and his very keen ear have come together to give another perspective of what took place at the weekend. If it reads like metaphysical poetry or prose, then perhaps that it is.

**************************
By Walter Edey

Without doubt, the teacher in me has reached a watershed. I offer advice when the “student” appears. On other occasions, I listen or ask provocative questions. This approach of yogi also has a parallel in 'Ole Bajan' wisdom: wait until your troth is put, before you bubble in it. Indeed, the movement away from the traditional teacher/student unequal relationship has given birth to my WE project. I wore my ‘WE’ Cap (listening mode) to my meeting with Dennis --whom I didn’t know--and not knowing what would be revealed. “Dennis the Griot” was immediately obvious and all up in my face. I had made the request for him to tell me about himself. I had given him permission and only took my hat (listening mode) off when he wanted to take a picture. I had turned on the tap and the water that ebbed and flowed was a special brew of wine for Eleanor his daughter who he misses every day.

As I traveled home, his healer archetype became more evident. Later, his deep passion for “One Caribbean Love” emerged as he took a chance Barbadian/Jamaican meeting and started to write a Blogger’s movie script. Then as I digested his stories and provocations I immediately knew that there was at least one other person wishing that Barbados became Bajan in a hurry. Then there would be space and work for all the ‘Jones’-persons whose life experiences make them cry whenever Barbadians define themselves by one hundred and sixty–six square miles of island, professionals who have worked for world institutions far bigger than Barbados Civil service, visitors who instinctively identify with Miami beach, the village shop, Friday Night at Grants in Brittons Hill, investors who choose Barbados real estate not because of its investment value but because of their intrinsic desire to contribute a place they could easily call home and visionaries who have already found a niche within the Global Marketplace for expressions of Bajan Culture.

These ‘Jones’ provide a different perspective of Barbados. It is that view of the bus from a position off the bus that makes great leaders, push forward-looking businesses to repeatedly use external reviews to reduce the ‘in breading of ideas’ or to avoid complacency, and, why unfortunately it sometimes takes adversity to push individuals closer to their purpose. It is the big reason why the recent debate about Guyanese immigrants became divisive. It is the only reason why the ‘Thomas(es)’ should recall that successful Barbadian Premiers and Prime Ministers were all married to foreigners.

For the record, WE is a work in progress. It is a new business project that believes that “All Ideas Are First spoken. “ It knows that the stage theory: When I GET money…, I will travel (HAVE)…, and then I will BE happy is flawed, if only because it contradicts the Genesis pattern of creation – Void … Affirmation…, BE …, GET …, HAVE. WE recalls that Goethe also said: “As soon as it is said, providence appears.”

**************************

3 comments:

Sargeant said...

Shades of T Lobsang Rampa, looks like Edey has become your muse or vice versa. I remember Edey from Foundation but his name never comes up in any discussions I have with my peer group. He should be congratulated on becoming a published author and I will canvass some of my friends for their feedback

Dennis Jones said...

Sargeant,

I did not know of Rampa, and the Third Eye idea is fitting, I see; but thanks for the connection. I think Walter and I are co-inspirers, which is no bad thing. Maybe Walter will do a bit of reintegrating based on your feedback. Ca marche?

Sargeant said...

Rampa’s books were prevalent in B’dos when I was growing up and he had a bit of a following. Now reading his bio via Wiki it appears he was exposed as a charlatan, however the “Third Eye” theories may have some relevance but I know very little of mysticism or associated spirituality