Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Phenomenal

A phenomenon. That is a funeral and the things that go on around it. I saw a play last year in New York, entitled "August: Osage County". It was centred on a funeral and how the occasion led to the revelation of many family secrets. It was funny and yet so distressing to see people discover things for the first time that some knew for years but never shared, and so on. Well, I'm in Jamaica for a funeral and so far the first 24 hours are not disappointing. What have I discovered?

I know now that my grandmother's father came from the United States, as a 'coloured' man, who had been driving trains in the Boston area. Now, that is mighty strange. I will try to check how many 'coloured' men were likely to be train drivers in mid 19th century America. But now I can understand more about a lineage that I was already beginning to suspect. I may yet lay claim to American citizenship by some natural route.

I always knew that my maternal grandfather spent most of his working life cutting sugar cane in Cuba. Yet, he died so very young, in his early 50s. All of his children and his wife lived to an greater age. I was glad to have known him when I was a boy. Rest in peace, dear Parnell. But I did not know that Bennett was not his family name; that was the name of the people who took him in after his family (Clark(e)) abandoned him. He married my grandmother, whose family name was also Bennett. I'm less concerned about that than many people because we have such unknown genealogy that 'given' names really only confuse us about separateness.

I now know that an Aunt Myrtle was named Alfina, a name chosen from the Cuban ones my grandfather had chosen. But, hardly anyone in her family knew she had that name.

I know that several of my cousins have the same mother but different fathers; that's nothing strange in Jamaica or the Caribbean in general. But, now I am listening more to what those who know of their fathers know. Some feel that they carry Jewish names and are now closer to those people, and maybe to that faith by extension. Interesting for people often brought up as Christian Pentecostals.

I met for the first time a cousin born a couple of years after me. He went to The Bahamas about 20 years ago, to work in construction, and became one of their national cricketers. I found his details last Christmas and called and left a message. Last night, we hugged like brothers and talke up a 50 year storm. I will have to have a meal with him this Christmas.

I now know that a young cousin who had graduated from university and could not find work in Jamaica has now been living in Alberta, Canada, for a year and working in hotels there. He's also building a house in Jamaica. Way to get over the hurdles.

'Coincidences' abound: I had to drop off some doctors at a hotel and met a good friend and pilot who happened to get the flight duty to Kingston to cross over my visit, and was staying at their hotel. His flight duties had last month let him cross over my visit to New York. No way we knew each other's plans. OK!!!!!

I'm stopping there for today as the Holy Spirit is clearly having a ball. The white rum was the spirit that moved last night but it's time is done.

No comments: