Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Well, I Never: Blogging In The Air.

This is the first blog that I have posted while flying. I had the good fortune to land in the lap of American Airlines, who are celebrating 70 years of the Admirals Club's existence. They gave passengers a voucher for a free trial of in-flight wi-fi access. Well, the staff in the lounge did not know if my flight would have the equipment, and I had been expecting a little American Eagle buzzard. But, yo! There it was, in plain, blue and white: Wi-Fi. We had to wait to reach the right altitude before we could fire up our laptop engines, but now we are running on-air.

For me, it is a real bonus. I was miffed that I would miss the match in the US Open between Federer and Soderling. But, here I am, watching that match online and live, and having my dinner, with a lovely Pittsburgh lady sitting beside (no photo supplied :-)); all thanks to USOpen.org. Is life good or what. I think the flight is long enough for me to see the whole match. Who knows what will happen with the lady? :-)

The service for an in-flight pass costs about US$10, but the coupon has US$12 value, so I'm a very happy camper.

What more can I say?

2 comments:

Dia&Kofi said...

Way cool & life is good!

Dennis Jones said...

Kofi,

As you can see, the TV dinner set up was a bit complex and when I cut too hard into my quesadila, I logged out! Fortunately, Federer kept enough focus to overcome the Swede's onrush.