Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Spellbound

I have had the pleasure in recent weeks to laugh out loud when I open one of the newspapers. That's what howlers should make you do. Now I wonder if they are just going into intensive training for some competition, such as an April Fool contest.

So what do I get on today's front page of The Barbados Advocate? "More women are being encouraged to explore political opportunities...". Yes! I should have stopped there. I read on. This encouragement came at a panel discussion at ... the... Dinning Club.... My eyes rolled back to the sentence. The what? I found a definition in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, which derives from "din" and is related to making a loud noise. The other reference, was to mis-spelling of "dining" that I found in the Urban Dictionary.

I could have let "wimmen" slide if that had appeared as that misspelling of "women" has gained some currency, albeit in mocking or self-mocking form in song and literature (see an example with Wimmen's comix magazine). But "dinning"? That I cannot swallow easily.

How am I supposed to pronounce it anyway? It is said like "din-ing" or is it really "dinn-ing" as if I am ringing or dinging a dinner bell? Time for din-dins!

If there is such a place as the "Dinning" Club in Barbados I will gladly eat my words without any whining (or is it wining?). I will admit that I bit off more than I could chew and never make the mistake again of thinking that someone cannot spell. I could find "Dining Club" in the phone directory, that other source on which I would lean heavily

So, I will pass a part of today with more than a slight smile on my face waiting to hear if this causes a little din in the island affectionately referred to as Bim.

No comments: