Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Saturday, February 02, 2008

BlackBerry...CrackBerry?

If you have ever lived in England you wont have any difficulty with the next few sentences, which are from an imaginary encounter.

Voice: Cum 'ere, mate. I got sumin fo' yo'. Tek a look, eh? Neat innit?
Innocent: W'as 'at? A vidya game?
Voice: Nah! New tech', mate. Cuttin' edge. Brilliant. Dey call i' BlackBerry.
Innocent: But wha' yo' do wiv it?
Voice: Be in touch, mate, 24-7. Neva orf.
Innocent: Whe' yo' ged it?
Voice: My boss, mate. Need to be in touch. Crisis. Never kno' when the sky's gonna fall.
Innocent: But wha' I do, I do at mi desk at work. I go' a compyuah. Wireless an' all. Enough innit?
Voice: Nah, mate. Too long to boot up. All dat Windows rubbish. Dis is instant, like coffee.
Innocent: But i's gonna ring all de time.
Voice: Pu' i' on vibrate. Yo' kno'. Like a sex toy! Watch it move on yo' table, like i's got legs.








Innocent: Creepy!
Voice: Serious now. When yo' wiv yo' missus an' havin' a bit o' quiet quality time, yo' kno'. You watchin' Arsenal, she's readin' her Marfa Stewart. It ain' goin' spoil nuffin. When yo' wan' go to tak' a leak, tak' de Berry wiv ya, check yo' messages, don' waste time. If you need to sit down den you can do de reply fing.
Innocent: Yeh. Right. Wha' dey call dozey geezers at a rest'ran', a' 'e movies, little screen glowin', fingers tappin', like dey got St. Vitus dance? Crackers, o' wha'eva. I don' kno'. I don' fink I'm ready for dat. Bit too sofisticated fo' me. I'm a pleb', yo' know. I'd rather stay with my two telephones, one fo' personal, one fo' work.
Voice: Yo' could have two, even three Berries, too, mate. Like dat Fenty geezer, de mayor in Washington. Your choice, mate. Yo' don' kno' wha' yo' missin'.

No comments: