Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Friday, March 06, 2009

NAPSAC My Knapsack

Usain Bolt she is not, but who knows where she will land?
Jackie Joyner-Kersee she is not, but she left her prints in the sand.
A little smiling face with two gap teeth.
Her swinging arms, her stance so sweet.

Like a Trojan she entered the stadium.
Glancing left and right, trying to find her family.
She listened patiently and waited her turns.
Swing once, swing twice, bend knees, push hard, and fly.

Wow! Well into the air and landing without fear.
Dust off the hands and rejoin the line.
Glancing up at the crowds and frowning at what she heard.
Are they calling my name or am I just hoping?

Is this a big thing? I feel so very small.
Look at that man, he seems so tall.
He waves his flags. White is good, red is foul.
I did alright that much I know.

Just wheel and turn and another go.
We were many but now we are just eight.
I jump again. This is great.
We leave the sand and walk to a tent.

Some people speak. The National Anthem.
The meet begins, but it had already begun.
I am confused by the way grown ups do things.
Back to my team, and smiles from my teacher.

My Mum comes to find me and takes me from an 'Auntie'.
We climb the steep steps and find Daddy and Tanti.
I'm sweaty but not tired.
No school for the rest of the day; I can go home early.

I get great hugs and kisses too.
I know I did well and so do you.
Next year? I liked running on the coloured track.
So, look out Usain,I will be back.

No comments: