Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It Pays To Collaborate

I spent the better part of yesterday at Novel Teas, poring over the text of an MBA dissertation, while someone poured me hot sweet tea and latte.

Why? I had offered to do so.

For whom? Funnily, for a fellow blogger, Amit Uttamchandani, who needed some help in completing his studies.

For what? No reason, other than it was possible, and if one can help one should do so. But, I did get my lunch bought for me, and he offered me free lunches for life.

What next? He submitted his documents, bound, to the university, earlier in the day, and invited me to join him for a drink with friends in a nice watering hole in Maxwell, called Pablo Dontes. I had often driven past and thought the place looked super cool and relaxed. I was not wrong.

Having met just so very recently it was odd to be sharing beer and food as if we were old friends.

The soon-to-graduate-while-working student says that he wants to do more study; maybe philosophy, maybe economics. I urged him to make practical use of his study of perceptitons of tourism. He had already had a door opened for him by getting to talk about his survey results on Brass Tacks, during 'Tourism Week', so he should run with that. But for now, he can savour the end of his studies. Well done, Amit.

No comments: