Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dear ardent admirers.

I would be lying if I said that I do not like nice comments about my blog; I don't write for the accolades or for anyone else, but everyone should appreciate appreciation and I am no different. I am glad that my policy in terms of how I write finds a response that is usually at least equal in tone and civility, and sometimes better in terms of appreciation of a topic.

This blog could have super-soaring numbers if I allowed it to be littered by my own profanities and immoderate expressions, and if I accepted comments that were similar. I am not trying to take a holier-than-thou attitude, but part of the role of a moderator is to moderate, and an editor should edit. Even the most foul-mouthed remarks can be edited to give all of the essense of the strength of feeling without resorting to swearwords, or descending to intemperate villification of individuals. I often use irony and try to be satirical, and I hope that it works in the sense that it is meant. I would like to feel that everyone about whom I have been critical would not be able to look me in the eye and say that I had insulted them.

Now, to your comments. I have a policy that I do not take "anonymous" comments. However, I realise that not everyone understands that to make a comment and add a name requires a little more than just writing the comment and hitting the "submit" button. The comment fields have several option and I just ask commentators to choose the option that allows a name; from there you are free to choose any name you like. Because I sense that this is a challenge too far for some, if I appreciate the comments--and that does not mean that they are favourable--I reject the comment as submitted then resubmit it with a name that I think fits the commentator. This I did with the latest comment, which is now from "Ardent admirer".

There is no way that I can trace a commentator through the blog; all comments are sent to me without identifier and I cannot reply directly to a commentator. Sometimes people ask me for information. But I cannot respond because I do not know who the commentator is or have a means of contact. So, in such cases it might be better to send me an e-mail at livinginbarbados@gmail.com.

I think I will have to live with the fact that I have to go through this process of clarification periodically, and I don't mind. Like I don't mind editing comments a little, if I feel that is needed.

Now for my ardent admirer, an attempt to respond to your wish. This blog has a picture of Nassau at night. For you and others, I hope that I can continue to shed a nice light.

No comments: