Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Friday, April 24, 2009

This Sarah Is Our Hero

National Heroes Day will be celebrated on April 28, and like many a school student, it was over breakfast this morning that my daughter told me that she needed to take a picture to school of one of the heroes.

She had been mentioning 'heroine' all week, but with no particular name. "Daddy are you a heroine?" she asked me. I told her that I could be a hero, but her mummy would be a heroine. Check that. She and a class mate conversed about Sir Garfield Sobers, who happens to live near the friend, so he say (I need to check). I mentioned that I had seen Sir Gary play cricket a long time ago in England, and had seen him at the re-opening of Kensington Oval, and also at Sandy Lane, after he had played golf, and a good friend of mine had met him and they had been photographed together. All that led to wide eyes and the sense that I was becoming a hero.

But, Miss Bliss needed to focus. "Sarah Ann Gill," she piped up. So, off I went to do the modern thing and find a reference and picture on the Internet (see Government website). So, I found out that this heroine was a prominent Methodist who fought hard for the acceptance of that faith, made harder in the 19th century by its stand against slavery.

Printed picture in hand we headed off to school. "Methodist. I read the word," Miss Bliss yelled from the back seat. Maybe this weekend we will take a trip to Gill Memorial Church at Fairfield Road, Black Rock.

2 comments:

iriebrown said...

Children widen your horizons, don't they.

venturemike said...

Let's hope the children learn the tolerance that my forebears clearly didn't have ! Happy Heroes Day.
Mike