Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Min' De Bisickle. Boyz On De Block.

"Min' out for mi bisickle, Daddy!" My head spun around and I just caught sight of the wheels of a mountain bike in my side mirror.

Don't ask me how I found myself, with two young children, leaving one of Barbados' schools, then ending in a narrow dead end that was just wide enough to fit my very small car. Once I realised that I could not get through I had to do a 20-point turn to get out of this little alley. "Uncle Dennis, I can smell smoke. "Those boys have some stinky cigarettes," said Lizze. "Smoking is bad for you!" screamed my five year old daughter.

I pulled alongside a group of young men pulling on their spliffs. "Look," I said. "You could see that I had to turn the car around to get out of this dead end and you have the bicycle parked on the fence. So instead of moving the bicycle, you sit and watch me manoeuvre then say 'Look out for my bike'? I guess your world is the one that spins around you, dread." The youth looked at me and I stared back at him. Then I drove on. "I hear you, Daddy," I heard as I pulled away.

"Why did he call you 'Daddy', Daddy?" asked my little one. I smiled and offered no answer.

Barbados does not have the extensive hard core urban problems of an economy that has faltered for decades, as one can see in Kingston, Jamaica,or the simply abject poverty that is evident in Haiti or Guyana in this region, but it has its poor and indigent, and they are disturbingly young. They do not look like people that have been cast away because of physical or mental disabilities, but they do not look like people interested in going further than where they are on the street corner. I may be doing them a disservice, but I have hung with 'boys on the block' and they are often anything but lacking in capabilities.

I have not studied the 'boys' in Barbados to know how they have reached where they have, but I recall seeing that the previous government tried to put up some feeble-looking make work projects for them when I first arrived here in 2007 (see Nation report), with 'Project Oasis' and opportunitiesto buy overpriced weed-whackers and become gardening 'millionaires'. I remember laughing heartily when I read, that the "Boys On The Block Committee would continue to traverse the country looking for special young men with business on their minds". I was sure there would not be a meeting of minds about what was good business.

What was good about this brief meeting was that the children did not see the 'boys', but just noted their smoking, and then made the connection only children seem to: "Obama smokes too, Daddy!" In their minds they were linking these boys with a figure that they knew and were starting to admire, and found the one degree of separation. Priceless.

1 comment:

Jdid said...

make work projects? those guys arent looking for work. well most of them anyway.

had a similar situation last visit, they were crowded around a corner and made us have to maneuver around them in the narrow road to make our turn. couldn't make it in one shot so had to reverse, straighten and then proceed and they started giving advice on how to drive.