Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Friday, August 22, 2008

Pandemonium.

When you read this history will already be written. The bitter first. The Jamaican women did not finish the 4x100 metres relay, with a messed up baton change between 2nd and 3rd legs, when they were leading. The relays are beasts and each time you get round without problems you breathe a huge sigh of relief. So, no gold there but the 4x400 dream is still alive for the women.

Now, the sweet. I said yesterday that if the men could pass the baton the record would be history. There was a tough exchange between Michael Frater (2nd) to Usain (3rd), not made easier by the big height difference between the two, but it went alright. Then Lightning struck again, and passed the baton sweetly to Asafa. Then I saw what I had wanted to see all through the Games: Asafa leading and way ahead to the tape. And the world record? Obliterated in 37.10 seconds (about 9.275 seconds a man, or 4 world record 100 metres).

A thought for Trinidad, who took silver with 38.06 seconds. We are one and strong, even when we are separate.

I have been on the phone since and some of my calls cannot go through because circuits are busy. A friend called me from Kingston and let me listen to the pandemonium in the streets as everyone celebrates. My house is now almost demolished as I celebrated alone with my cat.

I feel that I will be writing a lot in coming days about what these feats could mean for Jamaica and the Caribbean. But here is a taster. I see Caribbean strength in the individuals and the countries and am very wary of how that gets lost when we try to fit everyone into the same box. I have touched on the fact that the national teams of Jamaica and Trinidad have been very strong in football and can hold their own. I have raised doubts about the persistence of a West Indies team, which means that some of the best may play, but I think is losing because the nations of say Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica and Trinidad could field wonderful teams, and each represent the best of West Indies cricket. But let me leave those discussions for later.

My other futuristic thought goes to the children--our future, of course. It's no cliche. When I see my children what do I see? Do I see them or do I see me? It may not matter but it's an interesting question. What I know is that without opportunities, they will become nothing of worth (however, I define that). So, I encourage and help and build and guide. Is my youngest daughter--a mere 4 year old--a champion in the making? Perhaps. Will she have my genes and have blazing sprint speed. Perhaps. Will she be intelligent and wise, like her parents and grandparents? Perhaps. Will she always do us proud? Probably. Will she get into trouble? Probably. Will I beat her? Never. Will I humilate her? I hope not. Will I ever be embarrased by her sense of humour--which is dry like mine? Unlikely. Her sisters are grown and have much university education. She has role models of all the best kinds in them and those around her. But she needs them to stay with her and not let her slip.

All of that to say that what we dont protect we lose. We have heard the pleas from Kingston's garrisons, where people have so little to offer their children, not even a little hope. Now we have seen that from the seeming hopelessness can come greatness and people and achievements of which we are all proud.

The politicans can decide what to do in the immediate time, such as to give a holiday or make formal celebration. But the time is also the people's to decide where they want to go from here.

Pride has its place and right now it's in number one position because Jamaica, representing the Caribbean, has put us all on the map in the best of manners. Jamaicans were supposed to wear the colours today and I will go to find them to put on myself.

I'll forumlate my thoughts better once I can catch my breath and stop the screaming.

No comments: