Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Your Smock Is Smoking

For all the unease that women express about men's clubs, and being excluded from key corporate decision-making that takes place at the urinals, women are very effective at organizing support systems. Men, when they encounter these, often feel threatened that they represent some front organizations to make an assault not only on so-called male bastions, but simply on males.

Why am I not surprised that a group of three bright, beautiful, and intelligent Jamaican women, would form a thing called the 'Single Mother's Club'? Ostensibly, it's there so that the members can organize trips away. From what and whom, I was not told. I think, there are only three members, though I have met two. The 'leaderene' is petite, but clearly brassy, if not a bit sassy: "I'm the president because I did not go over to the dark side and marry my baby's father. My vice-president went that step too far, and must be punished by never reaching this top position." Can't touch that. The VP looked on with a sort of 'whatever' glance. But, even if destined to be no more than VP, Treasurer, Social Secretary, the permanent second seemed happy.

"Does your group have an acronym?" I asked, stupidly. So, I suggested SMOC (pronounced 'smock'), but immediately found that a little on the condescending side, with its overtones of permanent pregnancy. How about SMOC (pronounced 'smoke')? They did not seem in need of such an appellation, even though I had gone on in my mind to creating logos, and sportswear, and organizer bags, with the letters boldly showing. I got the impression that they were humouring me by not crushing my idea like a hazel nut in a cracker.

But, like with many things, its time may not yet be ripe. Let's see how they feel in a week's time.

No comments: