Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Jamaica to the world.

I cannot keep up with this. Arriving in Barbados at just after midnight, I had just a few hours sleep before I had to be ready for another final. I am a long-time athlete and I know that good rest before major races is important. So, in a half-dazed state, I got down into the blocks of my armchair, got set with the remote, and fired the remote. I hit the curve at the same beat as Veronica Campbell-Brown, as her heart beat to the melody of "We are the champions...of the world" and she took the gold in the women's 200 metres--sorry, retained HER gold medal, and with a new personal best of 21.74 seconds. What a haul in the 100-200 sprints, getting 5 out of six medals. All that is ever expected in a major event is that you run your best. Bway, Jamaicans have really done that.

Kerron Stewart, coming in third, just outside her PB, but with legs tired from 8 rounds of racing, must be disappointed but still elated.

As today wears on, the sprinters have to get ready to make real history and win all four gold medals. What a thing that would be. Jamaica forever remembered in history.

Everyone is putting on "Bolten" poses. Athletes are smiling and joking in front of the camera. Having real fun is usually part of the closing ceremonies, when all the stress is over. But Jamaica, and especially Usain and Shelly-Ann have said in their way "Get up. Stand up." China has taken Jamaica to its heart and what a birthday song they gave Usain.

Goose bumps are all over me and I know over some of my friends. Every playing of the national anthem is an exercise is futile self-control. Cry I must and cry I will.

No comments: