Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Friday, April 04, 2008

Do you ever have days like this?

A friend sent me a message several months ago that I promised to use on the blog. It came as a "breathless" e-mail and I have just put the air together slightly differently.

Today was quite a day. One of those "working mother-with-teenage-daughter" days, but to excess. Left home in the Kingston hills from early morning with intention of dropping daughter at hairdresser for 11am appointment in location-from-hell--Constant Spring plazas [a mere few miles away but awful to reach on a work day]--and reaching work at the university by mid-morning. Ended up reaching work at 4pm, having not yet had breakfast that was packed in car. Explanation: it was so horrific getting her there that I decided to wait for her, squeeze in a little shopping during the estimated 2 hours hairdressing time. Well, 2 hours eventually turned into 4, and the longer I waited the less sense it seemed to make to leave only to have to return shortly thereafter to the same madness. And in my effort to maximise the opportunity of being in the plazas-from-hell (or more accurately to minimise the likelihood of my ever having to return thereto) I ended up buying a Christmas tree while waiting, so of course I had to go back home with it before going to work, etc etc etc. So I'm now in office principally in an attempt to restore my sanity while soaking up the A/C.


No comments: