Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Small is truly beautiful

With great apologies to Schumpeter, I take his axim for this blog. I like functional and appropriate technology. That is why things related to sustainable development rank high on my interests. As an aside on that it's pure folly for governments in countries that have free resources like sunlight, wind, and wave power to move slowly to encourage the use of these as alternative to dependence on fossil fuels. So, with my position stated, I go to the fun.

I had to travel recently and as many know taking a laptop on a plane is one of life's new banes. "Out of the bag, please, sir." or "Put it in a separate tray, sir, not with the shoes and belt." are phrases that sweeten my air from Grantley Adams, where "please" is always omitted, to Paris, London, or New York. I have become used to this process but what began to tell on me was the weight, as I hauled a relatively heavy 3-4 kilos/7-8 pounds around on my shoulder or in roll-on bag. Sure, this is a much lighter load than in the days of luggable laptops at the beginning of the portable era: I remember walking with what seemed like a 20 pound laptop back in the 1980s. Then I got a bad/good break. My employer insisted that as I was on extended leave I needed to send my laptop back to Washington--bad break as I just got a consulting assignment. But during the trip back from the assignment I got my good break. I read one of those PC magazines, and in it I saw my saviour. A laptop that is only 2 pounds/1 kilo, and that almost all I needed ready loaded: e-mail connections, Skype, video and audio, etc. It also did not operate on Windows, but on the more esoteric Linux platform, with programs coming from open sources. And for less than US$400. So, I became the owner of an Asus Eee PC (see link). Sure, it takes getting used to, especially the very small keyboard and small screen (7 inches). But when I can carry something this light I know there have to be compromises.

But look. There is no real difference in functionality. I prepared this blog with no major problems because of the size of my cutie. So, I know have something new to bounce on my knee when I am spending those long hours in airports. The final plus: the Eee comes with a lot of new games loaded such as electronic versions of Soduku. I will be good. I will work. I will not waste time. Nah! And of course my 4 year old has just seen the new machine: "Hey! That's just the right size for me, Daddy!" My problems are now starting.

No comments: