Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bob Marley Birthday Celebration Party: Redux

Word reaching me about the weekend's party was that "Truthfully, you miss a rass session"; that's Jamaican vernacular for a spiffing good time. After running around for music and tennis lessons and a neighbourhood BBQ, I had little energy left, and had woefully fallen asleep on my sofa to not rise again till near 11 pm.

But, I'm told it was a super event with a diverse and energetic crowd; about about 250 people passed through--I don't know if they all passed out in one way or other. So, the Jamaican Association of Barbados will make a reasonable return for the various causes.

The crowd was diverse, in terms of gender, age and social background: so 'big ups' were ready to small up themselves with the 'likkle peeple dem'.

But, what about the food, man? Again, I heard that the servings were a super tasting array of Jamaican food including "manish" water, which was all consumed by 10:30 PM. So, if I had gone I would have found all the food done.

Oh, wait! The music kept the crowd on a full dance floor to the wee hours: called that for when parents like me get up in the dead of night to make sure their little ones have not done their wee-wee.

So, a great time for all. I have to send a shout out for the hard working Jambar team. I also say thanks to all the patrons who helped make it successful.

Look out for more events.

I await to hear the joke about joke about the man and the donkey.

No comments: