Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Monday, November 03, 2008

I Am The Gruffalo.

When I passed the weekend in Canada recently with my first born and my first-second-third (FST) born, true first-born reminded me of things we had done when she was small, when it came to stories, made-up songs, and crazy ditties. She regaled her little sister with how Daddy had created a head-banger version of a TV commercial praising granola, which we sang bouncing along in the car! I always regret that we never recorded these songs or their lyrics. So, time for a little redressment.

The FST child came home with some work from school and I was intrigued with what it represented. Here, in her words is an explanation (click on her drawing to see it full size).

I am the Gruffalo. I live in the forest, in a country without a name, that has cold and hot weather, like America or England.

I am the only Gruffalo in the world.

My body has smooth skin. I have two feet, with sharp claws. I do not have paws, and hop around like a bird. I have pointed spines on my back to protect me.

I am big, as big as a grown up.

I eat snakes and mice.

I walk around during the day time and night time. I sleep when I can, in my bed, which is on the ground. My bed is made of fluffy wool, from sheep that walk around in the fields near the forest.

The book about The Gruffalo paints a slightly different picture (see website). But, a child's view of what it sees, as it is for any of us, is what matters. And, who are we to tell my child that she is not The Gruffalo? Great to have a child that has not yet decided that she wants to be Barbie.

No comments: