Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

How to Morder the Language.

I got another day in the sun, when I was called to appear again on "Brass Tacks", this time to talk mainly about local interest rate policies, but also about where we are with the financial crisis.

It was good to get away from my trading desk after a light morning, but ahead of what I suspected would be another gloomy day for equities. All that euphoria on Monday was going to be short-lived. Market participants are beginning to really come to terms with the fact that fear is rampant. My buddy, the VIX (fear index), which soared to over 70 last Thursday and Friday, dipped to a previously high level in the mid-40s yesterday when the markets opened, but closed at 60. Today, it rose further, to around 65 in the early afternoon, as I write. Some traders know that the VIX moves inversely to the S&P 500 index...therefore...yes, the indices are looking to be down 5-6 percent in the early afternoon, as I write.

Well, on the radio I got to say my pieces, but did not have any local bankers to lash; I also got to deal with some of the callers on everything from EPA to entertainment. I liked very much the man who said that I made things clear, but who did not like my accent. I also listened attentively to a man lamenting what his MP in St. Thomas was not doing, and how she was now sponsoring a "mordament". Well, I could not get to my BlackBerry fast enough to try to Google this word. I knew about "mordant", which is what is used to set dyes. I know about "murder". I scratched my head, but I could see my host, Pat Hoyos, smiling. Then I figured it out: this was a particular local pronunciation of "monument".

Well, it turns out that Rock Hall, St. Thomas, has an elegant "freedom monument", commemorating its establishment as Barbados' first free village. That much I've learnt.

I also learnt--again--how free Bajans can be with their criticism. One caller applauded me for the clarity of my explanations. Whoo-hoo! Then in the next breath said he did not like my accent. If me did decide fi lik 'im wid some chayce Jamayka patwah, unno know 'ow 'im wuld react? How is it in "Little England" local people can have a "thing" about someone who speaks with a pretty clear English accent? Rather than talking about moderment, he might have been yelling "Murderation!" Fortunately, the radio show has a moderator and in keeping with his role he helped me remain calm and stay moderate.