Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Fear of flying?

My daughter is studying in Canada, and just as I am thinking about heading there for a visit soon, I want to back away from that commitment. I just read that Air Canada's regional carrier, Jazz, has decided to save fuel and money by removing life vests and offering that passengers use the seat cushion as a flotation device (see report)! After American Airlines and other US carriers started to charge for checked bags, I thought the writing was on the wall. I know that soon I may find that there will be a request for passengers to volunteer to jump out with a parachute (one between all of them?) to save on landing fees.

The video is a spoof, but it rings true enough:



I fly a lot and increasingly see how people are stressed out from the moment they make a booking to the time that they get their bags at their destination--if they arrive the same day. Even the shortest of flights seem to mean a whole day of travel. Some regional carriers, such as Air Jamaica and LIAT, make great sport out of passenger inconvenience, delays, cancellations, losing baggage, etc--though Air Jamaica still offers champagne to ease the other pain. I wish I could do away with flying to do what I need to, but it seems impossible. But to what extent am I and others prepared to be pushed down for the dubious privilege of travelling by air? Answers can be sent on a postcard, and sent in a bottle, not by air mail.

No comments: