Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Barbados In Focus

Part of the fun of blogging, which I have discovered, is commonality of human interest and a place for contact. You find others who write about the same or similar topics, or you find people who make comments on pieces posted, or you make a comment on another blog, or you enjoy the material presented and the manner of presentation, and then a new form of relationship has been created. I guess I feel a desire to support other bloggers as I go along and I like the support they give to me. In that spirit, I'll flag a wonderful Barbados blog, Barbados in Focus, which hosts some beautiful pictures from all over the island. I really enjoy browsing this site often as it shows much more than I have seen or can offer. The images are captivating, whether in black and white or in colour. I encourage the host of Barbados in Focus to add more pictures of people to set against the images of buildings and places.

The contact that develops amongst the blogging community is very much part of the culture created by the Internet, and the anonymity that comes with the medium does not mean that everything is impersonal. Internet meeting places have become very big business, as people realise that they can create their own content and substance. Just look at YouTube or Myspace or Facebook. These are just some of the better know examples, but have spawned new and different places for people to exchange ideas, particularly with freedom to write and show almost whatever you want. So, enjoying finding your own position in this very interesting and seemingly limitless environment.

1 comment:

iqpLENS said...

It goes without saying how wonderful I felt after reading your post about my blog. I want to take the time to thank you for that.

My mission is to show folks that there is more to Barbados than beaches and bikinis. And I am happy that there are people willing to read and not just view the images I post.

Growing up in Barbados meant a lot to me. As a child I passed things and places of importance. Now, I am able to understand and appreciate them. So, now I am trying to relate my feelings of Barbados to any anyone who loves the island like I do.

PEACE…