Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Friday, April 20, 2007

Free food on Friday nights!

My past two weeks in Jamaica have given me some interesting opportunities to compare my native country with Barbados, and I will touch on this as I blog. But, for the moment, I will merely challenge anyone to point out somewhere in Barbados I can go to on the road side to eat a good helping of traditional food for free on a Friday night. You can do it in Jamaica, if you then buy a beer, and it only need be one. So, after a long day's driving in the mountains of the parish of St. Mary, I was glad to reach lower ground in Clarendon. My friend told me to pull over and "check wha' gwan de so."
Yes, we get a cup of soup and the offer of stewed pork and rice, or jerk pork. Now, with a belly full of jerk pork and a Red Stripe, I am back a yard, and wait to hear where I can do the same in Barbados. Have a good night at Oistins!

No comments: