Welcome

Dennis Jones is a Jamaican-born international economist, who has lived most of the time in the UK and USA, and latterly in Guinea, west Africa. He moved back to the Caribbean in 2007. This blog contains his observations on life on this small eastern Caribbean island, as well as views on life and issues on a broader landscape, especially the Caribbean and Africa.

*NEW!!! LISTEN TO BLOG POSTS FEATURE ADDED!!!*

*PLEASE READ COMMENTS POLICY--NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS, PLEASE*

*REFERENCES TO NEWSPAPER OR MEDIA REPORTS ARE USUALLY FOLLOWED BY LINKS TO ACTUAL REPORTS*

*IMAGES MAY BE ENLARGED BY CLICKING ON THEM*

*SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY E-MAIL (SEE BOX IN SIDE BAR)*


______________________________________

**You may contact me by e-mail at livinginbarbados[at]gmail[dot]com**

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Things are really humming

My only experience with hummingbirds has been to watch them feed enthusiastically on hibiscus flowers, while admiring their grace and ease of movement in flight as they search out the point of attack to get at the nectar. In our temporary home at the beach front apartment, we see that feeding hummingbirds is a well-developed pastime, and liquid feeders can be seen from many balconies, including ours. So, armed with knowledge on how to mix syrup (like rum punch but without rum and lime), and learning that a clean feeder does the trick, I set about attracting some birds to grace us near sunset. I have to admit that I felt really gratified, even excited when I saw the feeder being surrounded by several hummingbirds after beng shunned as the "Last place to eat" diner. Finches, sparrows and doves come along and also try to take over the space, but now the hummers can have their way. I won't become an instant expert on hummers but will read more about the varieties that are here (http://www.mschloe.com/hummer/carib.htm) and how to attract them (http://www.hummingbirds.net/feeders.html). I look forward to doing more bird watching as time passes.

I'm not taken by certain aspects of modern island life, such as motorised water sports. I don't fish or sail, and so far have not been snorkelling (though I want to try this with Rhian once she can swim). I may change while in Barbados, but so far I am content to develop some interests that have been there under deep cover. Writing is one of them, but so is an interest in nature. Trying to do my little part for the environment.

No comments: